- Shared by:
- LEDNA TEAM
Date: 01.04.2012 - 04.04.2012
Empowerment Works is an International sustainable community development organisation that serves as a catalyst for a global partnership and local programme support system by uniting the most powerful, as well as the most grass-roots, change makers.
Elizka Relief Foundation is a capacity building and human empowerment organisation which seeks to purposefully create and manage opportunities for connection and communication across sectorial, identity and geographical boundaries to promote sustainable integrated human development by enhancing capacity to network.
Empowerment Works, in collaboration with Elizka Relief Foundation, is hosting the first ever African Local Summit on Millennium Development Goals from 1-4 April 2012 in Ghana.
This summit is an inaugural preparatory forum for the Global Summit, a biennial event organised by Empowerment Works, to be held in London from 15-17 August 2012.
Objectives of the African Local Summit
- Attain the Millennium Development Goals in Ghana and Africa at large through engagement of private sector and civil society through training of best practices and delivering collaboration support tools for Asset Based Community Development;
- Promote wider participation of Africans in The Global Summit events to ensure the voices of those most affected by issues addressed are heard;
- Establish a sustainable and vibrant development oriented professional network, fostering economic opportunities, attracting appropriate technology transfer, investments and access to markets in a way that honours and protects local heritage.
This year's Global Summit is a strategic effort to engage global media, policy influencers, and those beyond the choir. It will be held in London to coincide with the Summer Olympic Games, with the intention of benefiting from the positive spirit of Olympics.
The 2012 biennial will be held in a geodesic Dome - at the London Pleasure Gardens. In the immediate path of the Last Olympic Mile, this venue will see 40 000 Olympic ticket holders per day during the Olympics. The Global Summit will seize this outreach opportunity by beginning its Technology Expo a week before the commencement. (Olympics ends 13 August 2012, Summit Starts on: 15 August 2012).
This makes the African Local Summit equally exciting as this is the very first summit that will lay foundation for the future summits across the continent, strengthening Africa's participation in the Global Summit.
Key note speakers:
Ministers from across the continent, business leaders, experts, innovators, visionaries, entrepreneurs, media, educational institutions, civil society, government agencies, private entities, traditional and community leaders, Artists in Action and Youth Movements.
Empowerment Works is calling for abstracts on ‘Innovative Solutions for achieving Millennium Development Goals (MDG's)’ in the following areas:
- Eradicating extreme poverty and hunger
- Information, communication and technology
- Universal primary education and culture
- Good governance
- Gender equality and women empowerment
- Peace and security
- Reduction in child mortality
- Improvement in maternal health
- Science and technology
- Combating HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Youth development
- Environmental sustainability and natural resources
- Economic and social development
- Global partnership for development
- Private sector development
- Capacity building
- Presentations and training tools
Abstracts and proposals can be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is the 20 February 2012. Applicants will be informed of the outcome by 5 March 2012.
Organisations and individuals are encouraged to show case their work through Exhibition and also invite possible partnerships and Sponsors to express their interest and commitment via email to: email@example.com.
Any interest of getting involved in the summit can be expressed via the same email as above. This includes volunteers willing to help with moderate sessions.
For more about the Elizka Relief Foundation, refer to www.elizka.org.
For more about Empowerment Works, refer to www.empowermentworks.org.